A Christmas Message from Garrison
Petawawa Fire Chief Barry Nagora


Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2018

As the holiday season is fast approaching, the Garrison Petawawa Fire Department would like to urge one and all to be mindful in this festive season.

This time of year is often truly busy and hectic for everyone preparing to welcome family and friends together in the celebration of this joyous occasion.

While enjoying an abundance of events, please respect the possible dangers and hazards posed by the increased activities this holiday season and urge everyone to exercise caution in all actions while considering the safety of each individual. The following are a few reminders to encourage safe practices for everyone.

Take care when purchasing a Christmas tree for the season. If it is a real tree, water it daily to ensure it does not dry out and keep it away from any heat source including fireplaces and candles. If the tree is artificial, it should contain a label that reads “Fire Resistant” to ensure additional protection.

Before putting up any strings of lights, inspect the cords and the bulbs. If damaged in any way, replace them preferably with LED lights which use less electricity. Also use extension cords wisely. Many decorative lights are magical to view but take care not to overload circuits. This measure of safety could make your holiday brighter.

Be sure your residence has working smoke and CO2 alarms. Any space heaters used must have ample space around them to prevent fires. Sitting too close to a heater may be cozy but could cause a potential emergency.

Lit candles provide a comforting ambiance but be sure they are placed on a stable surface out of the reach of children. On leaving a room or going to bed, be sure to extinguish all candles. Just as a reminder, keep all matches and lighters out of the reach of children as well.

Preparing food on a stove any time of the year requires attention. At this busy time, especially with a houseful of guests or enjoying festive beverages, never leave food cooking on a stovetop unattended. Always keep a pot lid close by to smother a fire in a pan on a stovetop should it occur.

Careless smoking can cause fatal fires. Be sure to exercise the habit of smoking out of doors to decrease the risk of this type of fire.

Season’s Greetings and Best Wishes for a Safe and
Happy Holiday Season to All From Garrison Petawawa
Fire Chief Barry Nagora and Members of the Garrison
Petawawa Fire Department.