We are Safety Services: It sticks like crazy!
By Dave Harris
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2017
Believe it or not I remember when Crazy Glue became popular back in the mid-seventies. I was a Combat Engineer and serving with the CAR at the time and back then there were three things a Sapper loved; loud explosions, large equipment and the latest innovation. One night in the barracks we were introduced to the latter when someone brought in a tube of Crazy Glue for our personal entertainment.
That night we learned several things including;
1. DO NOT let it get on your fingers, it really does stick like crazy just as promised in the commercials.
2. If you get it on your fingers, then don’t let those fingers get anywhere near your eyelids or lips.
3. If you feel compelled to glue beer bottle caps to the bottom of a pair of running shoes to produce a set of impromptu cleats then make sure those running shoes are not yours…just sayin’.
4. If you have beer bottle caps glued to the bottoms of your running shoes DO NOT tell the SSM that you cannot participate in the morning run the next day because of it… no good will come of that for anyone. Again…just sayin’
5. Finally, and maybe the most important thing of all we learned that night (and is just as important today) is to read the label before use!
The good news is since then the Federal Government has introduced the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) program and it includes the use of Labels, Symbols and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) which are intended to protect you and allow you to safely store, handle and use hazardous materials in the workplace.
We at Safety Svcs are happy to announce that WHMIS is undergoing an upgrade known as WHMIS 2015 and is available on line at http://intranet.mil.ca/en/health-safety-security/gen-safety-training-whmis.page . To augment this style of training we hope to conduct conventional class room training this fall. Until then, be sure to read the label before messing around with the latest innovation!