Letter to the Editor
- Legion seeking new members -
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2016
I have been talking to military personnel from the base and they inform me they have not joined the Legion because they know nothing about the Legion. This article will explain what the Legion is all about. I am also available to talk to all units at any time to arrange this please contact me at johnwmacqueen@ outlook.com or call the branch at 613- 687-2504.
THE LEGION WAS FORMED BY VETERANS TO SUPPORT THEIR FELLOW VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES. THE FOLLOWING IS A BREAK DOWN OF WHAT THE LEGION IS ABOUT:
1. Support to veterans and their families. Our annual Poppy Drive funds are used to support veterans only.
2. Veterans Service Officer to assist all serving members to ensure they get all they are entitled to form Veterans affairs. This includes financial and medical needs.
3. Support to local charities and community events.
4. Support to youth education by offering bursaries. Holding annual speech, poetry and poster competition for all ages
5. Support to local Cadets.
6. Assist the annual Trucker’s Toy Drive.
7. Support our branch sports teams
8. We also have a Ladies Auxiliary which is a great asset to our branch. They put on breakfasts, lunches and do cratering for parties and weddings.
As you can see the Legion is an excellent and a definite asset to our community.
The major problem in our branch is getting new members to join. We are located just outside the largest military base in Canada and I would like to see a lot more serving members become members of the Legion.
As we all know there are no World War I Veterans alive and 2nd World War and Korea Veterans are becoming fewer. The next generation of Veterans are the recent retired and serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces.
I feel that it is up to the new generation to remember it was Military Veterans that started the Legion and it is up to us to keep their legacy alive by keeping the Legion alive. We all have relatives and friends that have been killed or injured in the line of duty.
I hope all retired and serving members will help keep the Legion going and join up. Applications are available at the Legion branch.
1st VICE PRESIDENT