Fall Leaf & Yard Waste Collection
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2017
LAURENTIAN VALLEY – Residents of the Town of Petawawa, City of Pembroke and Township of Laurentian Valley will soon be able to place separated leaf and yard waste out for curbside pick-up during the upcoming Fall Leaf & Yard Waste Collections. Leaf and yard waste will only be collected on your regular collection day during the designated weeks of Oct. 23, Nov. 6 and Nov. 20.
Residents are reminded:
• Leaf and yard waste includes leaves, branches, garden plants and hedge trimmings.
• Leaf and yard waste must be placed at the curb in reusable containers (lids off), cardboard boxes or paper leaf and yard waste bags.
• Leaf and Yard Waste in plastic bags will not be collected.
• Individual branches must be no more than 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter or 4 feet (1.2 m) in length.
• Bundled branches must be no more than 2 feet (0.6 m) in diameter.
• Individual bag/bundle/container must not exceed 50 lbs (23kgs).
• Extra leaf and yard waste is collected separately from other materials.
• Green carts ONLY collected on green cart collection days.
• When placing small, loose branches in your green cart, the lid must be closed. Carts that contain branches that prevent the lid from closing will not be collected.
• Do not place bundled branches in your green cart as it causes processing issues at the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre.
Once leaf and yard waste is collected, it is brought to the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre for composting. Leaf and yard waste is composted separately from regular green cart material. It is important that only acceptable materials are set-out for leaf and yard waste collection. This ensures a quality compost is produced. Leaf and yard waste compost is currently available for purchase at the Waste Recovery Centre while supplies last.
Acceptable leaf and yard waste can also be dropped off at the Waste Recovery Centre free of charge. Tipping fees do apply for larger branches/brush. Additional information on the Municipal Waste Management programs is available at www.ovwrc.com.